Our Lady of Perpetual Help School, located in Daly City, was founded in 1933 as a temporary four-classroom building. The grade levels were combined until 1942, when a second temporary building was added and all except the seventh and eighth grades were separated.
The present school building was erected in 1947, under the direction of Pastor James Bergin. In 1972, the school formally adopted the British Open Plan, which lasted until 1981. Beginning that year, OLPH returned to self-contained classrooms in grades one through eight. A full-time Kindergarten was added in 1983 and an extended care program was added in 1997. The junior-high classes (grades 6-8) began using a modified departmentalized program in September 2000.
The Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange served as administrators, teachers, and auxiliary sevice personnel when the school opened in 1933. Since 1984 the school has operated with a lay administrator. In June 1987, the Sisters withdrew from OLPH School and returned to Orange, California.
The present staff is comprised of one lay principal and nine full-time teachers. The school has the services of two instructional aides serving in kindergarten through grade three, two computer teachers who also serve as resource teachers for grades four through eight, one music teacher, one physical education teacher (Rhythm and Moves), and one counselor. Support staff includes the following: administrative assistant, development director, cafeteria service coordinator, bookkeeper, and custodian.
|1939 Photo of 8 sisters of St. Joseph of Orange, all of whom taught at OLPH. (Thanks to Sister Adele Marie Korhummel '45, Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange Archives)|